For this course you will need some internet tools as well as a working knowledge of computer and internet technology. We have provided some helpful links below to get you started. Nearly all of the recommendations made below are FREE for use! You can find all of these resources in one location! Check out FileHippo!
In order to facilitate this course you will need one of the following browsers:
If something does not appear to be working in one browser, we often recommend to try a different one. Each browser has unique features that make them better for different uses.
You will also need a few applications for this course in order to access certain documents, as well as create documents.
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Reader is the most popular program in the world for viewing, creating, managing and manipulating PDF (Portable Document Format) files. PDF formatted files are the most common and useful document file type for the internet because they are small while maintaining proper formats. They cannot be edited. However, they do require a free program to view. You can download that here.
or other word processor*
Microsoft Word is a widely used commercial word processor designed by Microsoft. Microsoft Word is a component of the Microsoft Office suite of productivity software, but can also be purchased as a stand-alone product. Microsoft Word is often called simply Word or MS Word. This product can be purchased here.
*If you do not have access to the Microsoft Office programs, you can download a free version of OpenOffice which functions JUST LIKE Microsoft Office. This is also a FREE resource! Compatible with other major office suites, including Microsoft Office, OpenOffice is free to download, use, and distribute. Download it now, and get:
- Writer a word processor you can use for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book.
- Calc a powerful spreadsheet with all the tools you need to calculate, analyze, and present your data in numerical reports or sizzling graphics.
- Impress the fastest, most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations.
- Draw lets you produce everything from simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations.
- Base lets you manipulate databases seamlessly. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, all from within Apache OpenOffice.
- Math lets you create mathematical equations with a graphic user interface or by directly typing your formulas into the equation editor.
|Microsoft Word||Microsoft PowerPoint||Microsoft Excel|
|OpenOffice Writer||OpenOffice Impress||OpenOffice Calc|